Saturday, February 15, 2014

The First Semester!

Happy Valentine’s Day! Happy New Year! Merry Christmas! Another semester has begun at Xavier and I realize I have failed to share anything about my experiences  throughout the first.  Thus I will try to hit the highlights of my first five months in Chuuk. Life here at Xavier High School is full of excitement, and though there have been many ups and downs, I have made it through my first teaching experience, learning and growing a lot along the way. To start at the beginning, I am teaching Freshman Literature, Junior English Skills, Junior College Counseling, and this semester I am also team-teaching an Economics elective for seniors. Outside the classroom, I serve as the Assistant College Counselor, the Head Girl’s Basketball Coach, the Assistant Boy’s and Girl’s Volleyball Coach, and the Junior Class Co-Moderator. It has been a challenge to find a balance between teaching, planning, grading, community life, and self care; however, I recognize that I have made great strides in all of these areas and am so appreciative of all the experiences that have moved me along my journey.
                The first week of school started with two days of going over the handbook and going special activities; as the moderator of the Junior Class, I spent time getting to know them and discussing school expectations. At the end of the week, we celebrated Mass of the Holy Spirit, which was a beautiful ceremony in which the students all presented their signed contract for the new school year. It was amazing to have this tradition continue, after it being a part of this wonderful celebration at Rockhurst.
                In mid-September, we celebrated Newcomer Entertainment, in which the students welcome the new freshman class, as well as any transfer students and new teachers. We were processed into the gym (dancing), served a feast at the head table (complete with a coconut, of course), and then entertained by skits and performances from the upperclassmen. I hadn’t laughed that hard in a long time, and I thoroughly enjoyed seeing student’s personalities and talents outside the classroom.

The Stage for Newcomer Entertainment
       During the first weekend in October, I attended the Junior CCSP (Christian Community Service Project) to help chaperone as a Junior Moderator. We went to the island of Tonowas, another island in the lagoon. The three hour boats ride, there was a relaxing time to bond with students and jam out to music (including Rock the SAT songs that I had taught them- making this teacher, oh so proud).  The weekend was combination of doing service work around the parish grounds, reflecting in small groups, sharing as a class, performing for the local community, and leading the Sunday liturgy at the parish. Having watched the Myrmidonz (the name of the Junior class) practice their dances and songs all week, I had a blast watching them rise to the occasion in all aspects of the weekend, working hard even through the rain.

The Boat Ride
The girls hard at work 
                The very next weekend was Girl’s Gathering, a weekend in which all the girls have a sleepover at Xavier. It is extra special for them to get to stay together since the boys are together in the dorms every night.  The four female JVs (also the only four female faculty members) chaperoned the event, which included me embracing my inner teen’s love for T. Swift and One Direction and dancing to The Wobble with my community mate. It was another weekend of little sleep, but it was such a blast to learn more about the girls and develop a relationship beyond strictly teacher-student.
                The Lady Navigators enjoyed their second undefeated season and snagged a back to back state championship (which really means we went 4-0 and won the end of the year tournament). However, the girls worked hard and deserved the success they enjoyed. As Rose, my assistant coach, could verify, I was ekis chuk (a little bit) nervous during our games, especially the championship! It is quite an adventure to enter the world of coaching and try to navigate the girl’s expectations. We only practice for about 45 minutes, three times a week, which can be frustrating at times, but the girls always show up willing to work and truly want to improve. I probably get more anxious coaching than I did when I played, but they never cease to amaze me, whether it is executing the press or setting up our offense or just free-styling, giving me a minor heart attack and then making it work probably better than if they had listened to me in the first place. Coaching was probably one of my favorite things about my job thus far; I loved passing on knowledge about the game I love and had a blast getting to know the girls outside of the classroom.
Team huddle before the championship game
                First semester also meant intramural softball season on Mabucchi Hill! The faculty team, The Fitikokos (Big Mess in Chuukese), lost in the championship series (3 games to 1) after finishing the regular season 3-1.  I enjoyed tracking down fly-balls in the outfield and the boys loved cheering (and jeering) at their teachers.
                 November 22-24 marked our first JV retreat. The nine JVs here on Weno went to the island of Folos (pronounced Phone - os) on the reef for the weekend. The retreat was exactly what I needed. It was a fruitful space to reflect on my first four months in Micronesia, to share my hopes and challenges, and to attain the support and rejuvenation I needed to finish out the semester. The theme of our retreat was guided by the song “Walking Far from Home“. We revisited the JVC covenant, looked at our blessings, set goals, examined the current balance in our lives, and wrote affirmations for each other. We closed on Sunday with a communion service followed by a walking mediation. It was a great mix of sharing time with incredible people and catching up with my journaling. Not to mention the swimming, gorgeous sunsets, and speed boat rides that made it a great weekend.
Our retreat shelter on Folos
                We celebrated Thanksgiving with an all school mass and after school the faculty had a feast. We cooked on our off periods and ended up with quite a spread with the faculty lounge transformed with festive decorations. We welcomed the JVs from Saram, Peace Corps, and Australian Volunteers to have a total of about 40 people.  It was a wonderful time to be reminded of how much we have to be grateful for and share our own traditions with new people.
                November 29 and 30 marked what is known as Xavier Day, a time full of school spirit, track and field games, and other competitions in honor of the feast of St. Francis Xavier, our patron. The freshman and the seniors are on a team competing against the juniors and sophomores. As the Junior moderator, I was decked out in green.  As I’m sure most of you can imagine, I was looking forward to these days with much anticipation. The first day of competition was mainly team sports, so I reffed the basketball and volleyball games. Saturday was mostly track and field competitions and the faculty is allowed to jump in whenever they feel so inclined, so I was having I blast running the mile, long jumping, and crushing the class moderator 60 meter sprint. The faculty also joined the relays such as the bamboo race, dizzy bat race, egg toss, and more running (much to my encouragement and everyone else’s chagrin). On December 3, the Feast of St. Francis, we brought our celebration to a close with a special school wide mass.
Xavier Day Spirit
National Anthems Ceremony
Despite being far from home, I celebrated my birthday in style, in fact it was nice to not be cramming for finals (though I was ignoring a stack of essays I had to grade). My students got wind of the fact that it was my birthday and pulled out all the stops. On Friday, I was greeted in the morning by a giant sign on my office door from my communitymates! At morning assembly, I was Mel and Rose made a special announcement on behalf of the JVS, the female faculty, etc. Then the freshman stood up to say, “On behalf of Ponyboy, Johnny, Sodapop, and the Juggernautz (the Freshman class name) we would like to ask Ms. Hart to ‘Stay Gold!’” (a reference to The Outsiders – making this lit. teacher so proud!!) The Mymz boys then were called on and started with an eloquent speech about remembering the lives lost on Pearl Harbor Day but also celebrating the lives gained, thus breaking into a Pitch Perfect rendition of “Since You’ve Been Gone” changed to “Since You’re Ms. Hart” and then out of nowhere my co-moderator Sir Rovan, had escaped from where the faculty sit and appeared among the Junior boys, and solos “You’ve Got the Magic in You.” I’m not sure I have ever been as red, singled out in front of an entire school, but it made me feel so welcomed and loved!  After school, the boys won the basketball championship at home, a great Xavier victory to join the girls! On Saturday, all the JVs from Xavier and Saram came together at the Saram community in town and we spent the day decorating for Christmas and swimming. We even ate lunch out and had pesto pizzas and cake for dinner! That night, I was given my birthday present, a remake of T-Swift’s “22” (I might have been listening to it on repeat for the last week) into “23” starring themselves and personalized for me. It was hilarious and perfect! When I got back, the Mymz boys had gotten me another cake and on Monday, we celebrated with yet another set of cake and ice cream for the entire Xavier staff. On Tuesday packages arrived and presents from home where welcomed; there was also a return to internet and I was inundated with love from across the ocean. The birthday marathon was quite a trip and made me appreciate everything I have here in Chuuk and all the support from home. I am one lucky girl!
1st Years in the Christmas spirit!
Though nothing quite gets you in the Christmas spirit like decorating the real live Christmas tree shipped in from Wisconsin with your community and jamming out to Christmas music in your office filled with Christmas lights and the smell of gingerbread and pine, after second quarter grades, writing finals, and grading finals, I was certainly ready for a break. We celebrated Rose’s birthday with a trip down to Truk Stop, the local restaurant and hotel, where we enjoyed our first HOT SHOWERS in 5 months! We headed back to Xavier with all of the JVS (the 3 from Saram and the 6 of us that live at Xavier), where we made Christmas cookies, watched Christmas movies, and wrapped the presents we had bought for the boys who stayed on campus over the break. On Christmas Eve, we attended midnight mass at Xavier (in uniform of course). It was beautiful service with both the Xavier boys and the Sapuk Village Community coming together. After mass, at the reception, Danny and Ted to independent volunteers performed Christmas Carols and played the French horn, which was a treat for all. The faculty and students enjoyed a Christmas feast together in the student center followed by the boys performing dances for entertainment and opening their presents. Christmas is a time that I think of spending time with my family, being together and sharing traditions. As I spent my first Christmas away from home, I was reminded of how grateful I am for my family that has supported my throughout my life with their unconditional love. I am also thankful for the Xavier family that I have been welcomed into here. As we welcomed Christ at His birth, I was reminded of my desire to spread the light of His hope in my work, but even more so, this season has made me realize that distance or proximity are secondary to the relationship and community of love that transcends physical barriers. I am blessed to see Christ in my students, in my community, and in my family and friends at home.

Midnight Mass with the Communitymates!
During our time off school while Rose, Chris, and Mackenzie (all three of the other first years) were getting dive certified, I bummed around at Saram, reading for pleasure, letter writing (sorry everyone who sent me a letter after September, I’m still working on that whole time management/over commitment thing), and catching up on some much needed sleep. I just got back from spending New Years with my host family which was a blast. We attended Mass at the Cathedral on New Year’s Eve which was packed and featured the youth groups from all of the different villages singing. Three of my brothers were all involved so it was fun to see them in action. After Mass we cruised around in the flatbed as midnight came. People were throwing candy, shooting off fireworks, singing chants, and making all sorts of noise. I was simply excited to ring in the new year without freezing while going outside! 2014 will be the year I spend completely in Chuuk; after hitting the six month in January, I am excited to see what this year and semester holds as I now in some ways have my footing. The adventure has been so remarkable in every way so far and as I continue to accompany my students and this community, I hope to continue to learn and grow.

Thank you for reading and sharing in my journey. I apologize for the obnoxious length and yet glossing over that this post has become, I will endeavor so improve my frequency of posts in the future! I appreciate all the support and words of encouragement from home; it always brightens my day. Kinisou!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment